Our Chesapeake Bay:
The Ultimate Waste Stream
Program Slide Decks
Click session title for a pdf of slide deck (if available).
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
9:10 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Keynote: Our Future: Clean Water and The Chesapeake Bay
Horacio Tablada, Deputy Secretary of the Maryland Department of the Environment
10:30 a.m. – Noon
Contamination and the Markets
- China Import Ban & the National Sword – Mark Reiter, VP of Government Relations, Institute for Scrap Recycling Industries
- U.S. Markets: Present & Future – Gary Hartmann, General Manager, Republic Services
- Smart Technologies for Contamination Management – Brad Kelley, Senior Project Engineer, Gershman, Brickner & Bratton, Inc.
1:30 p.m. –
- Pam Kasemeyer, managing partner of Schwartz, Metz & Wise, P.A.
- Delegate Andrew Cassilly (Resource Conservation Manager, Hartford County Public Schools)
2:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Session 1: Food Waste Diversion
- Food Recovery Initiatives in Maryland – Kathy Egan, RDN, LD MEd, Manager, Nutrition Programs and Adria Aceto, Director of Facilities, Maryland Food Bank
- Montgomery County’s “Strategic Plan to Advance Composting, Compost Use, and Food Scraps Diversion” – Eileen Kao, Chief, Waste Reduction and Recycling Section, Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
- Session 2: Global Solid Waste
- Tanzania’s Waste Management System – Kristyn Oldendorf, Policy Analyst, Baltimore City Department of Public Works
- Marine Litter and Plastic Pollution: A “Glocal” Issue – Maggie Ostdahl, Conservation Operations Manager, National Aquarium
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Safety: It’s Everybody’s Business
- Scott Messier, Mid-Atlantic Market Area Manager, SCS Engineers
- Deborah Buckles, Business Unit Safety Manager, Republic Services
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
9:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Innovative Reuse of Dredged Material Program – Cassandra Carr, Assistant Section Head of the Environmental Services Section of Environmental Dredging and Restoration, Maryland Environmental Service
- Mr. Trash Wheel – Adam Lindquist, Director, Healthy Harbor Initiative
10:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Session 1: Recovery Park: The Power of Collaboration – Lori Scozzafava, Senior Vice President, Operations Officer, Gershman, Brickner & Bratton, Inc.
- Session 2: Emerging Contaminants in Landfills, Leachate and Groundwater – Russell Abell, P.G. C.G., SANBORN | HEAD & ASSOCIATES, INC. and Matt Thurlow, Esq., Partner, Baker Hostetler
11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Alternative Metrics and Methods for 21st Century Waste Management
- David Allaway, Senior Policy Analyst, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
- Susan Robinson, Federal Public Affairs Director, Waste Management
- Ron Vance, Chief, Resource Conservation Branch, United States Environmental Protection Agency
Moderator: Chaz Miller, Former Director Policy/Advocacy at National Waste & Recycling Association