On October 13, Richard Keller of the Baltimore County Bureau of Solid Waste Management, Recycling Division shared the significant benefits of buying recycled products and offered tips on how to get started on a “buy recycled” program in your agency. One takeaway was that while creating markets and a circular economy is a top reason for buying recycled materials, it’s not the only one. The market also helps us
- manage resources by limiting the amount of virgin materials,
- conserve energy and lowers greenhouse gas emissions,
- reduce waste going into landfills and other disposal options returning them to the manufacturing sector.
- create jobs and economic development, and
- provide domestic markets to offset lower exports.
Listen in below as Keller talks about how to get started and manage your program.